Author Topic: music library size  (Read 12280 times)

jukejohn

music library size
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
just out of interest what spec is the pc and hard drive size you using
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:56:58 PM by Steve »

cyberbob

Re: music library size
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:33 PM »
nice job
just out of interest what spec is the pc and hard drive size you using

Thank you

Just an old dell, Pentium D 2 gig ram, 160gb hdd, (4,5 yrs old approx.) its about quality not quantity for me, there's still bags of room, but ill end up down the external route I think.  pc is just windows vanilla with shell, & video box auto starting.

I used older machine, that's more than serviceable, first sign of hassle ill hook up and deactivate pro and do another, it meets my needs and its 2,500 tracks and still smooth for me :) I did have it up to 10,000 but was not happy with layouts so more work is needed,

jukejohn

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:17:18 PM »
the reason I ask noticed how fast your search was
very impressive  fast but if at this time you using a 160gb then that's explains it vjb copes well with smaller drive collections
I have a 500gb with aprox 300gb mp3s and a small amount of video mp4 and my search results are like waiting for a bus aprox 15 to 20 secs

I do have vjb pro which I haven't used yet to try on a better pc when I get around to it

cyberbob

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:46:59 PM »
I see

yes I would imagine a limit would start to get hit, but im loading mine with quality not quantity, thus it taking me longer, ie renaming tracks and using the fastest search. using the filename , which to me appear to have no limit for me and a good vanilla windows setup of course is always a good tip
for me its a very good out the box product, that does what is says on the tin :)

bare in mind this is my budget poor mans version, 

jukejohn

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »
vanilla xp  ??? ive used various custum xp and 7 over the years but not familiar with that set up please tell me more  :)

cyberbob

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »
vanilla windows setup
in other words, not much on it, just the required files nothing more, bit like the xpe you was talking about somewhere. 
lol its a tech term

vanilla Er Plain ?

jukejohn

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 11:52:56 AM »
ok ill Google it might be useful  8)

cyberbob

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »
ok ill Google it might be useful  8)

Mmm may not help

right a vanilla set up for me means, just the required programs installed for what I need everything else has been stripped back by hand, so windows runs nice and fast and closes down fast, about 15 seconds, starts in 60s not ssd, so there's not much running in the back ground, stop as many pointless services as possible & no av or anything else to hog. thus a very vanilla plain set up of windows,  making sure its fast ect the correct ms updates installed and .net ect ect, I used my own codecs but I know exactly what format I wanted, I didn't want hundreds of formats and things to slow it down.

that's it really.....

but as you say 500gb full of stuff will slow the searches ect, I would imagine this once anything gets past the 10,000 20,000 mark, really depends on the indexing ect,  but there's lots on the pc that can change things slow things make things better its just a question of tweaking till happy.

if windows runs pants then anything we put on it runs pants, that's why I dedicated an old pc offline to test with, and just add to net to activate deactivate. 

I only spent an hour or so on the pc, nothing major at all really, just tweaking, shelling ect ect. im no expert on the subject.

cyberbob

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
the reason I ask noticed how fast your search was
very impressive  fast but if at this time you using a 160gb then that's explains it vjb copes well with smaller drive collections
I have a 500gb with aprox 300gb mp3s and a small amount of video mp4 and my search results are like waiting for a bus aprox 15 to 20 secs

I do have vjb pro which I haven't used yet to try on a better pc when I get around to it
[/b]

Missed that what you using filename mode or hybrid

jukejohn

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:59:29 PM »
tried both its simply cant cope with amount I have I've trimmed it back use to be 400gb its shame I like this program other juke software seem to cope well put various wish requests in but nothing happens

I cant really trim my collection much more besides the usual pop and oldies im a big soul music fan with a very large collection going back to the 50s to present time so that's not going to happen

so frustrating though

cyberbob

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:02:55 PM »
tried both its simply cant cope with amount I have I've trimmed it back use to be 400gb its shame I like this program other juke software seem to cope well put various wish requests in but nothing happens

I cant really trim my collection much more besides the usual pop and oldies im a big soul music fan with a very large collection going back to the 50s to present time so that's not going to happen

so frustrating though

I understand, the frustration.

please give more details how many tracks,  what format what file name mode, are you 100% drive is ok, would help me or ill guess ill find out the hard way. I don't really intend to go much larger than the 320 gb, and I did a test run with at least 200gb and worked fine, other than all the renaming but that was my file naming, and was a usb drive on different computer also   

How many tracks it report ? I just added another 2000 so its now 4700, but still on 160gb drive at the min, I was using from usb drive which was 320gb, and I had no problems. 

to be honest I looked at lots of other software, & well great if you wanted 1000s of options and well just this was the smoothest software I found and looks right, I may even do some skins, but to be honest im always doing things giving them away on the web & never really got much in rtn so I tend to , do it for myself, selfish of me doing my own work and keeping it lol.

More details please john. something to guide me.
ie what does the track manager report, have you tested to a certain number of track's or GB s before it slows,  there must be a logic other than it prefers smaller drives.

jukejohn

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 05:28:42 PM »
tested it with a moderate amount of files first and search is spoton but as I updated more the slower it got tried it on a few different drives even had it on a 180gb ssd  was faster but no way near as fast as your demo vid

just maybe a nasty hidden file in one of my collections that's corrupts the search
I have these all tagged properly as I use other juke software also most say about 80% are 320kb

ive got my new project at the moment a set up in portrait mode this is going to look smart but not using vjb for this project it doesn't look very good in this mode

cyberbob

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
I see

Well ill update how I get on but some no's would really help how many files it picking up.. does it get shuit down correcty or just powered off. im interested to know facts m8,  as im struggling to find faults other than some tweaking atm. & I've been at it ages but not as long as you. no of tracks in the menu screen how many m8, 20,000 30,000.  at what point did you start to notice. as im being extremely careful to test rename everything.

jukejohn

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »
ill get you some facts and figures tomorrow on my juke maybe you might see something ive missed its running on xp 64 at this time had it also on xp 32 and 7 32-64 with still same poor search results will get back to you later

just out of interest what amount of your drive you used so far

cyberbob

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
Cheers m8
I've just moved my JBP folder to a 320gb 2.5 usb hdd, still works the same. I think about 100gb. about 1000 videos, 3000+ tracks.  im now starting to dirty my setup just to see how much I can add to it. :( I best get typing them up I suppose :@)