Author Topic: Microsoft has lost the plot  (Read 2871 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
Microsoft has lost the plot
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:06:26 PM »
Ok Guys, it's not often that I come on and have a rant, but...

It's like this, I got our Bry a new computer for xmas (proper 6 core job with 32gig of ram etc) and WINDOWS 8 , ... big mistake  :(

I didn't believe him at first when he complained that he couldn't use windows 8, I told him to get on with it and he would get used to it, it always takes time to get used to a new system doesn't it.

So, here we are a week later and our Bry has given up on Win8, I can't repeat his words on here, but it went something like.. 'get this sh*te off my pc before I smash the f#*ing lot!'... and I notice that the Windows 8 32bit install CD is now serving as a coaster for his oversized mug of tea  :-\.

I thought he was over reacting..... until I tried Windows 8 for myself, OMG, you have to try it for yourself to know how BAD it really is, Microsoft have really lost the plot on this one.

What I think has happened is that Microsoft have been rattled by the tablet craze, and they have cranked out a tablet operating system forgetting that their core user is someone sat at home on a desktop computer.

Well I can say one thing for sure, we won't be supporting Windows 8 in any future projects unless there are some radical changes to it.

Our copies of Windows 8 have now been stored back in their boxes, just in case Microsoft comes to its senses and updates it to a proper desktop operating system.

I could really see Windows 8 being a killer for Microsoft, do you agree ?.

PS: If youre thinking of buying Windows 8 because of the cheap price, dont, its cheap for a reason  ;D

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:13:06 PM by Steve »
Send us some crypto :-)
It helps us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qlfjvxfpj75wcpraa5phvvxjpc9w7dxhd8y9s0k

Doge
DGvvJZ6JNxcGtSSbgjaNE5zDe13YWwaPVE

jukejohn

Re: Microsoft has lost the plot
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
i second that had a breif play with it and found it shite also

dark1stu

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:23:48 PM »
Try working out how to turn the dam thing off i found format c: worked well followed by a windows 7 install

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »
Pheew, glad it's not just me then lol  ;D, welcome to the forums stu  ;)

Bitcoin

Doge

YorkieF

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 08:15:25 AM »
It was the same for me.  I ended up installing other bits to try and get it back to like it was in Win 7.  It stilled didn't behave itself.

Another expensive mistake :(  I normally update the op system every other version but got hoodwinked and believed the adverts !

cyberbob

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
Yep

Just go back to windows 7

although I will point out its for a touch screen interface much like video box ect, so your already going down that route , which is in the long run the correct route :)

the world is not ready for windows 8, there's a skin to change it to feel more like 7, so why not just go back to windows 7

they will bring out skins for 8 to make it more like 7,  it does have its uses and in certain places though.

in a nut shell they have not lost the plot there just far too early.

in my view it will actually in years to come be a big thing, many who cant use what we class as computers can use windows 8 because you just touch this and that.

windows 8 without a touchscreen is pointless pretty much like video box, you need that all important touchscreen to bring it to life fully :)

I must have reinstalled 20 already for people who have purchased and don't like, was the same from windows 95 to windows 98 and the same from 98 to xp, and I still have users who refuse 7 and prefer xp pro.

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »
Interesting point from both dark1stu & cyberbob, "Just go back to windows7", I guess it all depends on which system you were more productive with!, for us (myself and our Bry) Windows Vista was, and still is the most productive suite ever produced by MS.
I find that a lot of Xp diehards like win7 and I think this was intentional on MS's part, I think they had feedback that Vista was overkill for what most home users needed in an operating system and came out with win7 which I think is just a makeover or update of Xp.

We now use modified versions of win7 on our development machines, the mods are simply to replace the functionality that was stripped out in the 'upgrade' from Vista to 7 , but we still have Vista machines as a backup and are reluctant to let them go.

As for Win8, well I stick by my original post, Win8 is a dog and I don't see it being useful to me in the future, however cyberbob may be right that non-programmers may adopt the user interface when everyone & his dog owns a touchscreen, If you think about it a lot of users are now simply 'content consumers' i.e. they don't write or contribute anything they just download apps or watch videos, so there is no need for a real keyboard everything can be accomplished via touch.

I could see a lot of desktop/laptop users becoming frustrated with the Win8 interface in the short term and some really powerful computers becoming abandoned, maybe an ideal platform for Videobox in the future ?.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:14:53 PM by Steve »

Bitcoin

Doge