Author Topic: Hard Drive Cloning for Backup  (Read 2977 times)

reno

Hard Drive Cloning for Backup
« on: April 15, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
I just did my first Videobox install and i want to know if the videobox allows you to clone your hard drive for backing up & hard drive upgrading purposes.  If so, what steps i have to take in order to do a stress free cloning.
   I have always found that having a clone hard drive comes in handy when your OS fails.

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
Re: Hard Drive Cloning for Backup
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 02:24:54 PM »
Hi reno

As far as I know Videobox allows hard drive changes so in theory you should be ok to keep a cloned drive as a backup, good idea  ;D

A little word of caution though, Videobox has strong & complex copy protection systems built-in, so don't be tempted to put the cloned drive in a different PC from the original because it will invalidate your license, as will swapping the hard drives over too many times in a short period of time.

In short, your idea is sound as long as you keep the cloned drive in a safe place and only use it for a system failure event.

Send us some crypto :-)
It helps us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qlfjvxfpj75wcpraa5phvvxjpc9w7dxhd8y9s0k

Doge
DGvvJZ6JNxcGtSSbgjaNE5zDe13YWwaPVE

reno

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »
So Can I just, Clone the hard drive straight out or do i have to deactivate the videobox first and then clone the harddrive
Please Note: I have to remove the hard drive to from the registered Computer to put into another computer.
My cloning process involves, removing the hard drive from the videobox registered computer and putting into my workstation which is running the cloning programme and then re stalling the hard drive back into the videobox registered computer.
Question 1).
 Can I Removed the Harddrive  from the Registered Computer to put in another computer to be cloned?
Question 2).
If Question 1 is possible,  Do i have to deactivated the videobox software first before cloning the hard drive.
Question 3)
Once the clone is created does it matter which drive i put in the registered computer first?  I intend to go from a 160g hard drive to probably a 500g

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 03:52:03 PM »
Hi reno, I don't know exactly how your cloner/workstation works but in theory it shouldn't hurt as long as you are not booting the cloned drive in your workstation, personally I would play it safe and deactivate it, deactivating allows you the freedom to do anything you wish, including installing onto a different pc. once its deactivated it is not registered to any pc so you can change drives, components and operating systems at will, then simply reactivate.

Bitcoin

Doge

reno

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
Thank you for your response.  I have many more questions to come.

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
Glad to help  ;D

Fire away with your other questions (in a new thread)

Bitcoin

Doge