Author Topic: Tutorial: Handbrake - Video Converter  (Read 2145 times)

ShakesBar

Tutorial: Handbrake - Video Converter
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:46:25 PM »
Since adding videos to Videobox from a website I download my videos from (very high quality), It made Videobox run a bit slow. being a Video DJ for a long time, its great that I have good knowledge on how to do this and share with you all. Beware, it can become a little tedious so make sure you are prepared to leave your PC or MAC running overnight!

Setting up HandBrake

Download and install HandBrake for your Mac or PC: http://handbrake.m0k.org/

The preset I use reduces the size by around 30% but keeps the quality needed for a TV screen so I have created a preset file you can download to that your files will work well for VideoBox.

IMPORTANT FOR MAC USERS: You must have Perian installed to play video files created using this preset.

You can get Perian from here: http://www.perian.org/.

Downloading and installing the VideoBox HandBrake preset:

1. Quit HandBrake.

2. Download either the Mac or Windows preset, and unzip it to your desktop.

3. Open HandBrake.

4. Click the Presets menu and select Import. Browse to your desktop, select the appropriate file and click Open.

When you launch HandBrake there should now be a new preset option, named the same as the downloaded file.

This contains all the necessary settings to convert video files for VideoBox.

The Settings in the preset are for an MP4 file with H.264 codec, an average bitrate of 2000kbps, a decomb filter and a keyframe rate maximum of 25. These settings have produced a good balance between file size and CPU usage. Once you are comfortable with HandBrake you may want to tweak the settings to suit your needs.

Converting a File

This works largely the same in both Mac and Windows, the only difference being the template for Handbrake.
To convert a single video, follow this process:

1. Launch Handbrake

2. Choose a File or Disc to convert
If necessary, click the Source button in the top left, to choose what you want to convert.

3. Click the appropriate preset in the sidebar to load it.

4. Choose your Destination
Click Browse next to the destination box to choose where you want to save the file.

5. Convert
Click Start to begin conversion. This can take quite a long time depending on the length of the source video.

Converting multiple files using HandBrake

It's also very easy to convert more than one video file at a time using Handbrake.

1. Choose the folder which contains all files

2. Go to File > Add all titles to queue

3. Click the appropriate preset in the sidebar to load it.

4. Choose your Destination
Click Browse next to the destination box to choose where you want to save the file.

5. Click Start

----
Preset Files:

Mac: (I'm hoping Bry or Steve will allow me to give them the files to add to the site)
PC:

Any questions, I'm here. I seem to be scouring the forum a lot recently :)