Author Topic: Title Strips / File Naming  (Read 3736 times)

MStacey

Title Strips / File Naming
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »
Hi,

I understand Videobox creates its own title strips from the filename.
My files are currently named  artistname trackname.mp3

Is there a way to ensure Videbox puts the artist name on one line of the title strip and the track name on the other line or will I have to go through some 7000 tracks padding the file names out with spaces ?

Regards

Martin

rob sullivan

Re: Title Strips / File Naming
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
Martin,
I have this same issue, but it is due to the 'set size' of the title cards. Unfortunately I do not know of a better solution than to add the spaces in, but this will take you weeks because of the different amount of spaces required.

Although, on a positive note, I have a box in a commercial situation and out of all of the recommedations customers feedback to the venue, this hasn't cropped up once, so I would assume that it is not an issue for users.

Rob

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »
Hi Guys

Ok, the reason you cant get artist on one line and title on 2nd line perfectly is because Videobox or JBP has no way to tell the difrence between the two, they are just text.

We realised this from the start, and we nearly went down the same route as everyone else with this, the logical solution is to use id3 'tags', these tags are embedded in the music file and we could just read the artist onto the top line and the track title onto the 2nd line, sounds like a simple solution doesnt it!.

Here's the problem, during the testing phase we found that some of the tracks had the wrong information in the tags, or the information was completly missing, ie the artist name was missing or the title.
When we asked our testing guinea pigs to fix the problem, some were stumped, they couldnt figure out why the title card was blank!, when we told them they then started to search the internet on how to fix the problem or just asked us what to do, it was a show stopper for them.

Ok, some other problems we found...
To use tags for tracks causes overhead, in other words there is a time penalty, it slows the application down, not good  :-\

So the solution to have track tags without slowing the app down is to employ a database and put all the info in there, its much quicker, again sounds like a win win situation.
Nope, we found that if a database became corrupted or there was a problem then it was curtains for the user because they just do not have the tech know-how or the patience to repair a broken database.

I agree the current way of showing tracks may not be %100 ideal but its a small price to pay for ease of use and a robust database-free system.

Sorry for boring you all with my technical ramblings lol  ;D

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:20:53 PM by Steve »
Send us some crypto :-)
It helps us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qlfjvxfpj75wcpraa5phvvxjpc9w7dxhd8y9s0k

Doge
DGvvJZ6JNxcGtSSbgjaNE5zDe13YWwaPVE

joelalbi

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »
Hi Steve,

I have just installed Jukeblaster, my Kim arrived today and my ccTalk mech will be here tomorrow...

I too immediately realised that the title cards and whole file name thing isn't ideal and pretty quickly found this post.

I understand the overheads involved with reading tags but could some consideration be given to having it as an option?  I have a large music collection and have meticulously made sure that all the tags are correct, this means that they work with all the devices on my network the same.  The filenames are derived from the tags in a track number - artist - title format.

I'm uneasy with the thought of having to 'fix' my entire collection to make them Jukeblaster friendly and the thought of ending up with 2 entire music collections again, isn't ideal.

The title card implementation wouldn't be so bad if '-' could be used to separate artist and title, or if a mask could be used to disregard track number for example.  In this way, then ID3 wouldnt be necessary but it would allow users to keep a useable file name format.

The software is excellent and will make a very cool addition to the games room but it would be even more-so if something else could be implemented for the title cards.

Food for thought anyway... I look forward to your comments,

Joel.

jukejohn

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
i know just how you feel i too im in the same boat  :(

Dj4nrv

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:55:15 PM »
Same here.  ???

Bry

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »
I been working on somethin that will help you with next videobox v2.5 soon
have u seen before & after pics hear http://jukeblaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=250.0
It helps us us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qz9wd2ymdnjy3ge5h7fjlrdc2zt0grry0ugwwv4

Ethereum
0xC3bB19c7078055117f2481ACb81587d6Da343B0E

Doge

jukejohn

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 04:19:57 PM »
have i missed something  update version 2.5 is that out now or due to be released
and hows progress on video second screen  ???

Bry

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »
have i missed something  update version 2.5 is that out now or due to be released
and hows progress on video second screen  ???

just waiting for Steve now to give the thumbsUp on 2.5 release.

It helps us us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qz9wd2ymdnjy3ge5h7fjlrdc2zt0grry0ugwwv4

Ethereum
0xC3bB19c7078055117f2481ACb81587d6Da343B0E

Doge

jukejohn

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 06:07:57 PM »
nice one  ;D