Author Topic: Back Button behaviour  (Read 1561 times)

MikeUK

Back Button behaviour
« on: February 06, 2022, 07:59:08 PM »
Last question for today, promise...

It's regarding the 'Back' button behaviour within sub-genre folders (button located at foot of screen, to the far left of the left arrow / 'Previous' key).

When dropping down into a selection of tracks within a main genre, for example, all tracks within a main folder labelled 'Supertramp' (currently option 72 of 80), and want to return to the main screen and carry on scrolling through the remainder of the main categories, I press the 'Back' button.  However, I would expect to be returned to the top level screen where 'Supertramp' appears.  Instead, the program returns me all the way back to the first category on the home screen.  This means I have to scroll all the way forward again to get to where I was.

This is manageable at present since I've only had just over a week to setup a brand new directory structure just for Home Jukebox (my main Music folder within Windows is a complete mess).  However, it is going to become more of a
 nuisance as I add more major categories (mainly major artists) to the new music structure folder.

Or maybe I am missing something here and not fully understanding the setting up Genre/Sub-Genre tags within my music files correctly. 

MikeUK

Re: Back Button behaviour
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 02:46:38 AM »
Update: I've given this issue some thought and created a brand new directory/genre structure for 'Home Jukebox'...

My 'top level' directory / genre structure now contains directories 'A' to 'Z' for major 'Artist Albums' (Albums and/or music collections).

Other top level directories include:-
'Compilations' (re-created specific vinyl/cassette/CD various artists compilations)
'Decades' (60s, 70s, 80, 90s etc)
'Soundtracks'
'New Albums' / 'New Tracks' (for isolating and testing new additions with 'Home Jukebox').

The result is 32 top level options (down from 80+ options), excluding those WMA music formatted rips that insist on having their own top level genre and which I ensure are tagged last. 

Now pressing the back button and going back to the start of the top level is manageable.

This means that there is no room for genre by major artist (eg Supertramp classified as 'Rock'; Donna Summer as 'Disco' or 'Soul and R&B'; David Bowie as 'Indie' or 'Alternate'; Level 42 as 'Pop', 'Rock' or 'R&B').

I'd be interested in how other users of 'Home Jukebox' have managed to setup their system with regards to genre / sub-genre...

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 03:13:57 PM »
I have my music in decades like 70's, 80's 90's etc and then just have subgenre's like 80s Pop, 80s Rock etc, this way you dont have all the dracks dumped in one large genre.
Also if you look in the settings there is a switch that you can use to select navigation method, track/album.
Send us some crypto :-)
It helps us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qlfjvxfpj75wcpraa5phvvxjpc9w7dxhd8y9s0k

Doge
DGvvJZ6JNxcGtSSbgjaNE5zDe13YWwaPVE

MikeUK

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 05:46:45 PM »
I've always had a sort of 'Decades' folder structure even when using my favourite PC media player 'J River Media Jukebox' from my Windows Vista system days, which stills runs great on Windows 10 but no longer supported.

I put my selected favourite tracks into say 1970s/1977 directory and made sure all imported tracks here had both the YEAR tag correctly set and that the individual track TITLE names contained the year as text as appropriate e.g. '(1977)'.  This aids searching for tracks by title in a specific year and playing them in shuffle mode.

I notice that 'Home Jukebox' does not have a search button for  'Year' but searching by title for '1977' works just as well for me.  If I search for titles with '197' then I get all tracks tagged 1970 to 1979.

I will experiment with your suggested setup to get sub-genre's '80s Pop', '80s Rock' etc...