Author Topic: kim board availability?  (Read 8837 times)

forrestf

kim board availability?
« on: October 16, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
where can i get a kim board since it seems like juke is out of stock?

Dj4nrv

Re: kim board availability?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »
i wouldnt mind another kim board myself. Steve .... bry..... Bring back kim!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:25:30 PM »
Hi Guys

We have no Kim's left, they are sold out, but we will be distributing the NEW Coin Kit board soon  ;D.

A bit of trivia for you...
Bry did actually design a Kim Mk2 board with some improvements over the original, but we took a decision based on customer feedback that it was too complicated for some home constructors to deal with, so, Coin Kit was born and Kim2 ended up on the shelf.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:32:08 PM by Steve »
Send us some crypto :-)
It helps us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qlfjvxfpj75wcpraa5phvvxjpc9w7dxhd8y9s0k

Doge
DGvvJZ6JNxcGtSSbgjaNE5zDe13YWwaPVE

Dj4nrv

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »
Ideally for me , i would like a board that would enable me to easily hook up a coin mech either by paralell or cctalk aswell as inputs for a couple of buttons ,ie credit reject and test.(and now jukebox closed). Unless theres on board buttons for reject etc???

It would be nice if it incorporated a 12v line out of sum kind too then my led lights could run of the kim too! And i can do away with the 12v psu and the heat it gives off !!

Any chance of lights pulsing to the music??

Il leave it there for now  ;D

jukejohn

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
dj you can easily run your leds of any pc power supply doesnt have to be
a large wattage just connect them to the yellow and black wire on any of
the drive leads also that way they power of when you switch the pc off

Dj4nrv

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:06:57 PM »
that's what i used todo but i had no control over the lights. sometimes they are annoying and i want to turn them off but have to reboot the pc because if i unplug the molex with the pc on it may fry my hdd and 12v. trust ive done it before. and i don't like doing it that way. it would be good if i only had to unplug usb vga and power from the pc. in stead of untidy molexes hanging around it'd be easier thats all.

rob sullivan

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »
Finally, a topic I can relate to......!

OK, so the process I went through was. Firstly decide what types of led's I liked. I happen to choose the tri colour RGB led's mounted on a star shaped board. 3watt output. Then you have 2 choices really on how to 'drive' them. The first would be just a bog standard led driver that regulates the power etc. These normally incorporate a slow colour change circuit that can be switched on.

My choice was to go DMX. As I currently use DMX with my disco lighting (martin mac's etc). Buy a small DMX project board which incorporates an led driver. Normally the dmx boards can control 3 or 4 channels (RGB or RGBW) if you go for just RGB led's then 1 channel is just left redundent if you buy a 4 channel dmx driver.

You may ask why this route. Well, the main reason was because then you can add external effects such as under bar lighting, wall washes and any other dmx unit really from your pc.

To control the lights, download a free bit of software called 'freestyler dmx' this is a pc based bit of kit that will require a usb converter to convert the signal to DMX. The cool thing about freestyler is that you can set up different shows for different times of day, automatically turning the lights on and off. Also it incorporates a sound to light function that you can internally control from the pc. This will enable the lighting to change to the music even if your external amp and speakers are quiet, or off altogether.

If you choose the second route, it will not be a cheap option, but the effect you get from controlling your lights via DMX protocol is outstanding, especially if you start linking lighting that is in the room that your jukebox is fuctioning (games room, party room, or bar room etc).

Oh, and a quick pointer for you. Go and buy yourself a usb connector from maplin electronics and use that to add some led colour for a very cheap solution. Downside is that you cannot draw more than 500ma from a usb supply, so buy sensible with your led's. you can include an in line switch should you wish to turn them off independently.

Dj4nrv

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
Rob,
Thanks for the info. That could be something i might do in future , but i think the lighting setup your talking about is physically big? Maybe im wrong? Im talking on a much smaller scale. I need something that would allow me to power numerous" led strip boards " that are mounted to the rear of the jukebox.
To give this effect.
http://theawesomer.com/photos/2011/03/031511_touchtunes_virtuo_jukebox_t.jpg
If they could pulse that would be a bonus!
To be honest its something i havent yet looked that closely at.
Maybe tonite i will

jukejohn

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 03:50:02 PM »
dj have a look on ebay for led strips they come with remotes so you can switch them of
and do various setting and you can get them for a good price

Dj4nrv

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 04:49:31 PM »
Cheers john,
 ;D iv been and had a look already, it seems i can do what i wanted for about 40 quid.
il add pics when its done.

Iv seen a guy actually paint a design in white on a dark wall. he then mounted the juke in the center of the design.Then at nite the white on the walls really glows up with the jukebox backlights. il see if i can find the pic.
thats what im goin with anyway.

cheers agen.

rob sullivan

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »
A dmx interface can be very small, in fact it could even easily fit within a tower pc case in a free pci slot. Depends on the complexity of the effect you require. With a pre loaded programme that you get with the led strip drivers, you are obviously limited to the effects they have chosen. where as with dmx and the pc based software, you can set the effects yourself, you can get several effects to follow each other and have complete freedom of the look you want. Far superior if you ask me and that is what I have already done, although there is no chance of getting all this done for £40.

Dj4nrv

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »
haha yh 349.99 for a dmx controller was a bit much i think. il get that for my dj rig .... one day .... maybe. for the jukebox il stick with the 40 quid job.
nice one.

rob sullivan

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »
That was the beauty of my solution. The DMX controller is the computer you are already running your jukebox on. All you need is a usb interface (like the DMX2USB from JMS) which is £50, then download the FREE software 'freestyler DMX' and there you have it.

I will have to sort some pictures out eventually.

rhonda

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 08:12:07 PM »
Is this thread about kim board availability or dmx controller's

rob sullivan

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 11:53:23 PM »
Hi jacked.