Author Topic: PC keyboard becomes non-functioning  (Read 2245 times)

MikeUK

PC keyboard becomes non-functioning
« on: February 06, 2022, 02:48:57 PM »
Home Jukebox version 1.2.4.0

I have noticed that my PC keyboard ceases to function with Home Jukebox sometimes forcing me to exit and restart the program.

It may be my PC setup, being my only Windows 10 working PC with Home Jukebox also installed on it.

So while HJ is on in the background, on my second PC monitor, I am doing other things on main PC (touch) screen.  Quite often I return to HJ to go into setup (TAB key) and find the PC does not respond nor to any other function key (eg F7, F12).  However, the mouse operates (to exit program) and moving the window to my main monitor allows me to use the touch screen abilities.

Any ideas what is happening here?

MikeUK

Re: PC keyboard becomes non-functioning
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 03:41:14 PM »
Just an update to this issue:

I notice that pressing a PC key while focussed / working within another program, directly effects Home Jukebox when it should be just working as a background task.

I.e  As I am writing this post, if I press the 'tab' key, HJ springs into life and enters the 'User Menu' screen.  Indeed, pressing the 'enter' key (as you would when typing) and HJ responds with the 'Search' option screen.

However, after a short period, HJ stops responding to PC keyboard presses even after clicking on the mouse to bring the program into focus.  The mouse still works but essentially the program needs a restart to bring back all functionality.

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 10:33:50 PM »
Most of our jukebox products 'hook' the system keyboard at a low level, it kind of get's inbetween windows and the keyboard, this is to ensure that no input is lost if the program doesnt have focus, this is mostly important when credits and cash are involved.
I know it can be a pain when you use your jukebox as a side program, but you will appreciate it when you build a standalone machine  ;D
Send us some crypto :-)
It helps us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qlfjvxfpj75wcpraa5phvvxjpc9w7dxhd8y9s0k

Doge
DGvvJZ6JNxcGtSSbgjaNE5zDe13YWwaPVE

MikeUK

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 05:03:08 PM »
Thanks Steve for your reply.

Yes, I can see the advantages of having a standalone PC just for Home Jukebox (or any of your jukebox programs).  I am thinking along the lines of getting a mini PC with an additional SSD for storage, or, maybe a NAS device.  It would serve as a sort of backup having a copy of the music on more than one machine, considering the amount of time and effort put into tagging and structuring my music collection.

I have 2 other PC's that I would like to re-purpose but they are getting on a bit.  Do you think Home Jukebox could run
 on a Linux distro with WINE ?  Just a thought.

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 08:16:59 PM »
Sorry it wont run on linux with wine or mono, its not compattible with linux at all.
Send us some crypto :-)
It helps us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qlfjvxfpj75wcpraa5phvvxjpc9w7dxhd8y9s0k

Doge
DGvvJZ6JNxcGtSSbgjaNE5zDe13YWwaPVE

MikeUK

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 09:54:46 PM »
OK, it was worth asking...  I've had some success using Linux / Wine but it's not guaranteed that windows programs will behave properly.

Not heard of 'Mono' before - will have to investigate.