Author Topic: Pi Jukebox trial version ignores video files (MP4)  (Read 1139 times)

MikeUK

Pi Jukebox trial version ignores video files (MP4)
« on: March 31, 2023, 04:01:18 PM »
Is it possible to download a trial version of 'Pi Jukebox' that includes MP4 music video files to evaluate how it operates?

I have been porting over my MP3 music files from my PC version of 'Home Jukebox' onto my Pi 400 machine to trial with some success. However, I notice it completely ignores any MP4 files so it is not possible to evaluate how the new software operates with them added in order to decide whether to purchase the 'Pro version' license or stick with just the 'Basic' (music files only) license.

Also,  I notice a couple of 'niggly' issues:-

- Where song titles exceed (approx) 18 characters, the text wraps around as a second line of text on the title cards and therefore obscures the artist name.  I think the song title text should be (maybe optionally) truncated so the artist text still shows in the title cards.

- There appears to be a couple of albums that I have (contained in a separate folder) where a particular individual track is sorted out of sequence.  I don't know if this is a 'Pi' computer issue as I do not have the same issue on my version of 'Home Jukebox' on my PC (Windows 10).

- Using a mouse to click on either the right of left scroll arrows only scrolls the display one title card width of music.  On Home Jukebox, this action scrolls as many title cards as fits on a screen width at a time making scrolling much easier and faster when no touch screen is available.

Lastly,  it must be noted that all music files require tagging with cover art to ovoid 'random' art being attached.  In Home Jukebox, a JPG file attached to a music folder would be used where individual tracks had no cover art.  This is not the same with Pi Jukebox but is not a particular issue for me.  It has prompted me to tag all my music files as needed before importing the folders over to my Pi 400 via USB stick.

MikeUK

Re: Pi Jukebox trial version ignores video files (MP4)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 06:09:27 PM »
More on the Pi Jukebox track sorting issue...

- Where a folder contains, say, more than 25 tracks (not sure exact number) certain tracks get sorted out of sequence and are pushed to the beginning of the list displayed on the screen for selection.  It can be any track numbered between 12 and 16.  If there are many tracks in a folder then several tracks will be pushed out of sequence (for example #14 and #26 or #13, #26 and #38).

I have managed to 'get around' this issue by splitting large folders (artist collections and compilation albums) into multiple parts after identifying which track / tracks are out of sequence.  I was initially under the impression that it was a tag or cover image that was causing this issue but it turns out the MP3 files are all good.  I am not sure if the changes I have made will 'break' the setup I had with 'Home Jukebox' but I was trying to ovoid having different music folder structures to accommodate  both 'Home Jukebox' and 'Pi Jukebox' software.

If you need specific examples of this issue then let me know.

MikeUK

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 08:13:54 PM »
Track title sequencing and searching.

- In order to assist title search queries within the Pi Jukebox software, I have had to strip off any 2 digit numbers I previously pre-fixed to the title track before exporting them from Home Jukebox otherwise the title search within Pi Jukebox does not return all expected results.  I had to add the 2 digit number to the title tag field for Home Jukebox as otherwise tracks within albums were displayed in strict alphabetic sequence and not according to the original source media playback sequence (e.g. CD, vinyl or cassette).  From my trial of Pi Jukebox, it does not require this 2 digit title prefix and imports track titles based on the physical filename of the track (this is good).

I also note that the search facility within Pi Jukebox is very 'exact' and does not facilitate flexible searching for whole or partial words embedded within a track title.

MikeUK

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 01:53:38 AM »
When I reported that MP4 video files are being ignored, they are in fact being scanned by the 'Pi Jukebox' software to build the internal catalog but they do not appear for selection afterwards in order to play just the audio track contained within the video file.  I used the 'Scan Music Files' option and picked on a folder just containing 20 sample video music files to verify what actually happens.  I can see the scan working but just a blank screen appears after the scanning process has completed.  Interestingly, in the test I did, like the scan of normal MP3 music files, there will be video files being sorted out of sequence depending on how many files are contained within the music video folder being scanned.

I also note that when I select music tracks for playback, there is an aggressive 10 seconds of cross fading of one track into the next.  Is it possible that this behaviour can be made adjustable with also an option to switch it 'off' within the full licensed version of the software?  When I am listing to certain albums in track running order I would like the option to not have the tracks merge into each other.  At the same time, it is a useful option to have continuous gapless playback of music so it would be great to have both options available.   

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 09:17:25 PM »
Are your MP4 videos tagged with Genre & Title ?
Send us some crypto :-)
It helps us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qlfjvxfpj75wcpraa5phvvxjpc9w7dxhd8y9s0k

Doge
DGvvJZ6JNxcGtSSbgjaNE5zDe13YWwaPVE

MikeUK

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 11:37:34 PM »
Good point.
I don't normally tag mp4 music files so I will give it a go and report back.

Thanks Steve.

MikeUK

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 03:57:20 PM »
Tagging the sample mp4 files did make a difference.

I saw a genre title card was generated and a random music video file starts playing automatically. There appears to be no way to control the Pi Jukebox after that point I.e, no way to stop the current video or change / queue up any other video files. Tab key works but nothing else.

Steve

• Administrator
    • Jukeblaster.com
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 09:43:31 PM »
Just touch another track to add it to the queue, and press the reject button if you want to skip to the next track
Send us some crypto :-)
It helps us pay for the forum and new jukebox developments

Bitcoin
bc1qlfjvxfpj75wcpraa5phvvxjpc9w7dxhd8y9s0k

Doge
DGvvJZ6JNxcGtSSbgjaNE5zDe13YWwaPVE